English Yuvakbharati

Learn to grow | practice to know | master the skill

2.1 Song on the Open Road

"ज्ञान विज्ञान आणि सुस्ंकार यासाठी शिक्षण प्रसार " -शिक्षणमहर्षी प.पु.डॉ.बापुजी साळुंखे

श्री स्वामी विवेकानंद शिक्षण संस्था ,कोल्हापूर

Test No 01

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Q. Read the extract and complete the activities given below. 12
Page 94 {Lines 12}

A1 Global Understanding {2M}
Find out the false statements and correct them.
i] The poet is setting out on the open road on pony.
ii] The poet is strong and content enough to travel the open road.
iii] The poet doesn't pray for good luck.
iv ] The poet is not at liberty to choose his path.

A2 Interpretation { 2M}
Guess why the poet doesn't need anything on the open road.

A3 Personal Response {2M}
'Travelling enhances the level of knowledge' Give your opinion
Or
'One should be free to choose his own way in life' Give your opinion.

A4 Poetic Device {2M}
'Strong and content I travel the open road '
Name the figure of speech and find out another example of the same figure of speech from the extract

A5 Poetic Creation{2M}
Compose your poem of four lines about The road that leads to your home

Model Answer Test No 01

A1 False statements with correction
i] The poet is setting out on the open road on foot
iv] The poet is free to choose his path.

A2 The poet needs nothing on the open road because he is strong and satisfied to be on the road. He is the maker of his own luck. He is happy and free to enjoy every moment of his journey.

A3 Accept any reasonable answer.

A4 Figure of speech
- Inversion
Another Example
Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road

A5 Poetic Creation
The road to home
is as beautiful as Rome
It has thorns and beauty
makes us aware of duty

Prof. Shinde Sir

Test No 02

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Que. Read the given extract and complete the activities given below. (10)
Pages 94-95 (Afoot and ……………. in return.)

A1. State whether the following sentences are true or false (02)
* Someone controls the poet's journey.
* Speaker prays to get best luck
* Speaker is happy and feel strong to be on the open road
* Poet is against to stay in one place for too long

A2) Give Reason (02)
Poet does not want to pray for good Fortune.

A3) Personal Response (2)
Explain- “Don’t quit until you succeed.”

A4) Poetic Device (2)
Name and explain the figure of speech in the following line.
Strong and content I travel the open road
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms.

A5) Creativity (2)
Compose a small poem of 4 lines on your idea about life.

Model Answer Test No 02

A1. State whether the following sentences are true or false (02)
* False.
* False
* True
* True

A2) Give Reason (02)
Poet does not want to pray for good Fortune because -
Poet has belief or self confidence on himself. He said that he is the creator of his own fortune. He beliefs on the work rather than destiny

A3) Personal Response (2)
Accept any reasonable Answer

A4) Poetic Device (2)
Inversion: - The proper word order is – I travel the open road strong and content.
Alliteration: - The sound /k/ is repeated pleasingly

A5) Creativity (2)
Compose a small poem of 4 lines on your idea about life.
Life is a story of success,
And also of Failure,
Live it with proud
Or run like Shroud

Composed by – Shri Sidheshwar N Awad, Shri Sant Tukaram Junior college Malharpeth

Test No 03

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Que.-Read the extract and complete the activities given below. 10 Marks
“Afoot and light hearted ……………..fill them in return.”

A1. Complete the web about ‘the description of road / traits given in the poem. 2M

Traits / Description of road in the poem
?
?
?
?

A2. Inference 02
‘I am fill’d with them, and I will fill them in return.’ Explain the qualities expressed through above line.
A2. Explain the concept of freedom from the poem.

A3. Personal Response 02
Mention the qualities useful for successful journey of life with examples.
A3. Mention your planning for your journey of life.

A4. Poetic Device 02
Find and explain two examples of Repetition from the poem.
A4. “Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms.” Identify the figure of speech in the above line and find out similar example from the extract.

A5. Poetic Creativity. 02
Compose four poetic lines on ‘ Journey of life.’

Model Answer Test No 03

A1. Complete the web about ‘the description of road / traits given in the poem. 2M

Description of road
Open road
Long road
Brown road
Free Road
Traits given in the poem
Freedom
Optimism
Self-awareness
Joy or happiness
Self-confidence

A2. The poet honestly expresses here that he will always carry the sweet memories of past life with him. He is aware of the importance of wonderful relationships. He will not get rid of them. These things show that the poet is honest and he is aware of life values.

A2. In this poem the poet used the word ‘open road’. It means the poet is free to choose his path. He does not expect luck or fortune for his journey, so he walks freely on the road. He does not have a pressure of difficulties, complaints, or burden of powerful persons. It means his life is free, having no tensions of anything.

A3. I think, to begin the successful journey of life, firstly we need to decide ‘ambition’. And to fulfill it we need courage, willpower, integrity, patience, optimism and of course hard work. For example “Rome wasn’t built in a day.” It means nothing great comes without hard work and time dedication.

A3. I have decided the target of my life. I want to join ‘Administrative Services.’ So I am now learning in Arts faculty, so that I can face competitive exam with confidence. I am ready to work hard, by burning midnight oil. I will make my career by making more efforts.

A4. I) Repetition: The words ‘no more’ are repeated
II) The words ‘carry them’ are repeated.

A4. Climax- Ideas are arranged in ascending order.
Another eg.- Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing.

A5.
Life is a wonderful journey, Of joy and sorrow
Having defeat and victory, In every tomorrow.

Composed by -Aradhana Bhalekar, Sou. Sushiladevi Salunkhe Jr. College, Satara.

Test No 04

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Q.1) Read the extract and do the activities given below. (Marks 10)
Extract-(Afoot light-hearted I take to the open road ----------
------- I am fil’d with them,and I will fill them in return.)

A1) I) State whether the following statements are true or false. (2)
* The poem talks about a road and people’s freedom of walking on a road. false
* In the present poem poet is looking for good fortune false
* The poet does not mind complaints and criticisms of life. true
* In the poem road means journey of human life and open means individuals freedom of choosing his own life. true

A1) Find out at least two expressions which reflect poet’s confidence.
Ans -1-Poet says “I ask not good fortune’’and “I whimper no more'' These lines reflect poet's confidence

A2) Explain what poet mean by "light hearted I take to the open road.”
Ans In the context of the poem ‘light hearted’ means without any assumption about life poet has started his journey. Without any prejudices about life.
OR
A2) Interpret poet's idea of whimpering.
Ans -Poet says “I whimper no more’ ’It means poet is not going to take any kind of excuse though he has to face any kind of hardship

A3) Write whether you believe good luck in life or no face
Ans- No, I don’t believe good luck because my efforts are everything for me. I believe my efforts.
Ans -Yes, I believe good luck because sometime some external factors may affect my efforts, that may be called as luck
OR
A3) Write your own idea of freedom.
Ans -In my opinion freedom means not to harm other .

A4) Name and explain the figure of speech in the following line. (2)
“Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous, criticism”
Ans – Alliteration, Sound /k/ is repeated thrice.

A5) Compose two to four poetic lines on the topic ‘The road that leads to my College.’
Ans – The road leads to my college
Give me important knowledge
I feel every time I have a courage
To take that knowledge.

Q2) Write an appreciation of the poem using the following points. (Marks-4)
* About the poem, poet and title.
* Summary of the poem.
* Poetic devices used in the poem.
* Morals in the poem.
* Special features.
* Your opinion about the poem.

Model Answer Test No 04

A1) I) State whether the following statements are true or false. (2)
I) False
II) false
III) True
IV) true

A1) 1-Poet says “I ask not good fortune’ ’and “I whimper no more'' These lines reflect poet's confidence

A2) In the context of the poem ‘light hearted’ means without any assumption about life . poet has started his journey. Without any prejudices about life.
OR
A2) Poet says “I whimper no more’ ’It means poet is not going to take any kind of excuse though he has to face any kind of hardship

A3) No, I don’t believe good luck because my efforts are everything for me. I believe my efforts.
Yes, I believe good luck because sometime some external factors may affect my efforts, that may be called as luck
OR
A3) Ans -In my opinion freedom means not to harm other .

A4) Ans – Alliteration, Sound /k/ is repeated thrice.

A5) Ans – The road leads to my college
Give me important knowledge
I feel every time I have a courage
To take that knowledge.

By M. D. Ghodake (Parashar Jr. College, Pargaon.)

Test No 05

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Q.1) Read the extract and do the activities given below. (Marks 10)
Extract-(Afoot light-hearted I take to the open road ----------
------- I am fil’d with them,and I will fill them in return.)

A.1 Complete the sentence (2)
The world is----------
1-----------------
2----------------

A.2 Explain (2)
Explain the term ‘old delicious burden’

A.3 Personal response (2)
Discuss the ways in which you would overcome the problems you face during the journey.

A.4 Figure of the speech (2)
Identify the figure of speech from the following line
‘Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing.

A.5 Creativity (2)
Compose 4 lines about ‘the road towards bright future’.

Model Answer Test No 05

A.1 The world is---
1. Healthy
2. Free

A.2 Old delicious burdens’ means sweet memories of past life. We can never forget them. Here poet wants to carry them always with him.

A.3 In case any problem arises I will call my near ones, I will also call police, I will try to solve it or I will take the help of people around me.

A.4 This is the example of repetition because the words ‘no more ‘are repeated here
Also, this is example of alliteration because ‘n’ sound is repeated.

A.5 Creativity
The road towards bright future
Helps you to lead life better
Though the way is long
I will pass it having throng.

Mrs.M D Gavali Smt.A R P Kanya Mahavidyalaya,Ichalkaranji

Test No 06

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Q.1) Read the extract and do the activities given below. (Marks 10)
Extract-(Afoot light-hearted I take to the open road ----------
------- I am fil’d with them,and I will fill them in return.)

A1) Choose the correct alternative form the given
The word ‘light heated’ in the poem means
a) Healthy b) free from any burden c) not darkness
By ‘old delicious burdens’ the poet means---
a) The luggage b) the foot he carries c) sweet memories

A2) Complete the web diagram about poet’s activities

Poet practise activities
?
?
?

A3) Find and explain the figure of speech ‘ Paradox’

A4) Personal Response
Make a list of things when you plan any journey.

A5) Poetic Creation.
Write two line of your own in free verse.

Model Answer Test No 06

A1)
i) Free form any burden
ii) Sweet memories

A2)

Poet practise activities
Walking free hearted
not praying for good Fortune
Not Complaining

A3) Example of Paradox – Old Delicious Burden
Exp- A burden can not be delicious. The expression contains opposite ideas. It seems absurd. This is called Paradox.

A4)
I) I book/reserve my tickets
II) I take essential things
III) I fill bag with home-made things like food, water etc
IV) I take mobile charger, ATM, Adhar card

A5)
Enjoy your life Journey
Enjoy every day , Every moment

Created by – B.B. Patil

Test No 07

Class: - 12 th | Topic No: - 1.1 Song of the Open Road | Mark: -10

Questions

Q.1) Read the extract and do the activities given below. (Marks 10)
Extract-(Afoot light-hearted I take to the open road ----------
------- I am fil’d with them,and I will fill them in return.)

A1) Global understanding (2)
1) Identify the traits of poets personality from the poem.

A2) Inference/ Analysis (2)
State the message given in the poem.

A3) Personal Response (2)
Your attitude towards life. Write your opinion.

A4) Poetice Device (2)
Name and explain the figure of speech in the following line.
Strong and content I travel the open road.

A5) Creativity (2)
Compose a small poem of 4 lines on your idea about life.

Model Answer Test No 07

A1) Global understanding
Ans:- a) hopeful b) confident c)optimistic d)self-aware e)cheerful f)self-contended g)positivity h) having never give up attitude I) strong determiner j) independant

A2) Inference/ Analysis (2)
Ans:-The poet encourages the readers to live and enjoy the freedom of life. Although life is not free from obstacles, the poet encourages everyone to live their dreams, leaving the obstacles behind. The poet gives us the message of optimism and positivity.

A3) Personal Response (2)
Ans:- I would like to live a life fully without taking any mental stress or burden. I will choose my way of life independently. I will live a life just like a free bird. I will tackle the challenges of life with self-confidence and with strong mind power

A4) Poetice Device (2)
Ans:- Inversion- the proper word order is not followed in the above line the proper word order is I travel the open road strong and content.

A5) Creativity (2)
Ans:- Life is a rainbow, experience it.
Life is a piece of art, colour it.
Life is an icecream, enjoy it.
Life is a challenge, accept it.

Made by – Mrs. J.V.Bauchakar

Comments

Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Sidheshwar Narayan Awad,Jr.lecturer,Shri Sant Tukaram Junior college Malharpeth