Get Free Notes, Online MCQ Tests, Important Questions, Exam Updates, and Study Materials for Class XI & XII English.
👉 Join WhatsApp GroupHere are comprehensive notes on the Group Discussion (GD) writing skill, tailored specifically for the Maharashtra State Board 12th Standard (HSC) English exam.
In the HSC board exam, you aren't actually speaking; rather, you are expected to write a script or a dialogue of a group discussion taking place between 3 to 4 participants and an evaluator.
1. Marking Scheme (Total: 4 Marks)
For Question 4(C) in the HSC English paper, Group Discussion carries 4 marks. The examiner evaluates your written script based on the following criteria:
| Evaluation Criteria | Marks |
|---|---|
| Content / Subject Matter (Relevance, quality of ideas) | 2 Marks |
| Logical Sequence / Flow of thoughts (How well the dialogue flows) | 1 Mark |
| Appropriate Language (Grammar, vocabulary, and expressions) | 1 Mark |
| Total | 4 Marks |
2. Structure and Rules of Writing a GD
To score full marks, format your answer like a theatrical script.
- Title: Always write the topic of the discussion at the top in the center.
- Introduction (Evaluator/Moderator): Start with the Evaluator welcoming the participants, announcing the topic, stating the rules, and asking them to begin.
- The Discussion (3-4 Participants): Create 3 or 4 fictional characters (e.g., Amit, Neha, Rohan). Write their dialogues. Ensure they express different perspectives (some in favor, some against, some neutral).
- Conclusion (Evaluator): End the script with the Evaluator stepping back in to stop the discussion and providing a brief 1-2 sentence summary of what was discussed.
3. Do's and Don'ts
Do's:
- Use Formal Language: Use polite expressions even when participants disagree.
- To agree: "I completely agree with Neha...", "That's a valid point..."
- To disagree: "I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree...", "I beg to differ..."
- To interrupt politely: "Excuse me for interrupting, but...", "May I add something here?"
- Keep Dialogues Short: Write 2 to 3 lines per character per turn. Do not write a massive paragraph for one person.
- Show Interaction: Characters should refer to what the previous person said to make it look like a real conversation, not a series of mini-speeches.
- Bring a Conclusion: The discussion should feel complete when the evaluator stops it.
Don'ts:
- No Slang or SMS Language: Do not use words like "gonna," "wanna," or abbreviations like "u" and "tbh".
- Don't Deviate: Stick strictly to the given topic.
- Don't Let One Person Dominate: Ensure all 3-4 characters speak at least 2 times.
- Don't Fight: Disagreements should be intellectual and polite, not aggressive or personal.
Advantages of Group Discussions
- Helps to generate new ideas.
- Helps to understand a subject deeply.
- Improves critical thinking and listening skills.
- Increases confidence in speaking.
Factors Influencing Perspective
People have different opinions based on: Geographical location, Past experience, Faith, Culture, and Values.
Personality Traits Unraveled by GD
- Critical Thinking
- Communication skills
- Creative thinking
- Leadership skills
Usage & Topics
Group discussions are used in Business Planning, Job Interviews, Building Family Relations, and Strategy building in sports teams.
Types of Topics
- Factual: "Plastics should be banned"
- Social/Political: "Moral Policing"
- Abstract: "Conscience"
- Case Study: Discussion on any specific case
Language Phrases for GD
| Function | Phrases |
|---|---|
| Opinion | I believe, I think, In my opinion, It seems to me |
| Agreement | Absolutely, You're right, I fully agree |
| Disagreement | I'm afraid I don't agree, I see it differently, I respect your point but |
| Suggestion | I think we should, Let's, Why don't we? |
| Ask Opinion | What's your opinion on?, What do you feel about?, I'd like to know your stand on |
Remember: LISTENING is very important in Group Discussion.
Practice: Group Discussion Script
Topic: Are Smartphones a Boon or a Bane for Students?
Evaluator: Good morning, everyone. Welcome to this group discussion. Today’s topic is "Are Smartphones a Boon or a Bane for Students?" You have five minutes to discuss this. You may begin now.
Rohan: Good morning. I would like to initiate the discussion. In my opinion, smartphones are a definite boon for students. They provide instant access to the internet, educational apps, and online libraries, making learning highly accessible.
Priya: I agree with Rohan that they offer great educational resources. However, we cannot ignore the fact that they are a massive distraction. Social media and gaming apps often consume hours of a student's valuable study time.
Aditya: I beg to differ slightly with Priya. The smartphone is just a tool. Whether it is a distraction or a learning device depends entirely on the student's self-discipline. During the pandemic, smartphones were the only way students could attend online classes.
Rohan: That is a very valid point, Aditya. Furthermore, smartphones help students stay connected with their teachers and peers for group studies and instant doubt-solving.
Priya: True, but excessive screen time is also leading to health issues among students, such as eye strain and lack of physical activity. I believe strict boundaries need to be set by parents.
Aditya: Absolutely, Priya. Moderation is the key. If used responsibly, the benefits of a smartphone far outweigh its drawbacks.
Evaluator: Alright, time is up. Please stop the discussion. You all brought up excellent points. The consensus seems to be that while smartphones are powerful educational tools, they require disciplined and monitored usage to truly be a boon. Thank you, everyone.
Topic: Are Junk Foods Safe or Unsafe for Health?
Solved Example
Evaluator: You may now begin the discussion. The topic is 'Are junk foods safe or unsafe for health?' Who will start?
Rahul: I will start. In my opinion, junk foods are completely unsafe. They contain too much oil and sugar. They cause serious problems like obesity and heart disease.
Sneha: I fully agree with Rahul. Junk foods are very tasty but unhealthy. They have no vitamins or proteins. Eating them daily makes us weak and lazy.
Amit: You both are right. However, many students eat junk food because it is cheap and fast. We need to find healthier fast-food options.
Sneha: That is a good point, Amit. Parents should also give healthy tiffins to children. This will stop them from eating outside.
Evaluator: Time is up. Please conclude the discussion.
Rahul: To conclude, junk food is very harmful to our body. We must avoid eating it regularly. Eating healthy, home-cooked food is the only way to stay fit and safe.
Enhance Your Study Skills
Get unlimited access to study materials and practice guides.
Download Study App

Comments