Join the English Yuvakbharati WhatsApp group for 11th and 12th English updates, Language Study practice, online tests, study material and important announcements.
💬 Join WhatsApp GroupSTATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Std. XII HSC English – Maharashtra State Board
Writing Skill – Complete Notes, Format, Rules & Examples
1. What is a Statement of Purpose?
A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a formal piece of writing in which a student explains his or her academic interests, career goals, skills, qualities, achievements and reasons for choosing a particular course or field of study.
It is generally written for seeking admission to a college, university, professional course, training programme or specialised field of study.
A Statement of Purpose explains what you want to study, why you want to study it, what qualities you have and how the course will help you achieve your future goals.
An SOP should present the student's ideas in a clear, logical and convincing manner.
2. Statement of Purpose in HSC English
Statement of Purpose is included in the Writing Skills section of the Std. XII Maharashtra HSC English examination.
Q.4 (A) – Writing Skills
Statement of Purpose / Virtual Message / Group Discussion
In the examination, students are generally given a situation or personal details and asked to prepare a suitable Statement of Purpose.
3. Word Limit
HSC practice questions commonly ask students to write an SOP in about 100 to 150 words. However, students should always follow the word limit specifically mentioned in the question paper.
4. Marking Scheme – 4 Marks
| Assessment Criterion | Marks | What is Expected? |
|---|---|---|
| Content | 2 | Relevant ideas, purpose, qualifications, interests, skills, achievements and future goals. |
| Sequence / Flow of Ideas | 1 | Ideas should be logically arranged and connected. |
| Appropriateness / Language | 1 | Suitable vocabulary, grammar, tone, sentence structure and overall expression. |
| Total | 4 | Complete and convincing SOP |
5. Purpose of Writing an SOP
The main purpose of an SOP is to convince the admission authority that the applicant is genuinely interested in the chosen course and has suitable qualities and goals.
- To express interest in a particular course.
- To explain why the student has chosen the field.
- To mention relevant academic background.
- To highlight skills and personal qualities.
- To mention achievements and experiences.
- To explain future career goals.
- To show motivation and commitment.
- To explain how the course will help achieve future goals.
6. Basic Structure of a Statement of Purpose
INTEREST: What attracts you to the field?
BACKGROUND: What have you studied or experienced?
SKILLS: What qualities or abilities do you possess?
EXPERIENCE: What activities, projects or achievements support your interest?
GOAL: What do you want to achieve in the future?
PURPOSE: Why do you want admission to the particular course?
7. Important Elements of an SOP
| Element | What to Write |
|---|---|
| Academic Interest | Explain the subject or field that interests you. |
| Educational Background | Mention relevant subjects, studies or academic preparation. |
| Skills | Mention skills relevant to the chosen course. |
| Achievements | Mention relevant awards, competitions, projects, activities or accomplishments. |
| Experience | Mention experiences that have strengthened your interest in the field. |
| Career Goal | Explain what you want to become or achieve. |
| Reason for Choosing Course | Explain why the particular course is suitable for you. |
| Future Contribution | Mention how you hope to use your knowledge and skills in the future. |
8. How to Write an SOP – Step by Step
Identify the Course
First identify the course, degree or field mentioned in the question.
Understand the Purpose
Ask yourself why you want to study this particular course or field.
Think About Your Background
Mention subjects studied, educational background, interests or experiences connected with the chosen field.
List Your Skills
Select skills that are relevant to the course. For example, communication, creativity, leadership, analytical thinking, problem-solving or teamwork.
Mention Achievements
Mention relevant achievements, competitions, projects, certificates, hobbies or activities that support your interest.
State Your Career Goal
Clearly mention what you want to become or accomplish after completing the course.
Connect the Course with Your Goal
Explain how the selected course will help you achieve your academic or professional goal.
Arrange the Ideas Logically
Arrange the ideas from your interest and background to your skills, goals and final purpose.
9. Easy Three-Part Structure
State your interest in the chosen course or field and explain what inspired you.
Mention your educational background, skills, achievements, experiences and qualities related to the course.
State your career goal and explain how the course will help you achieve it.
10. Language and Tone of an SOP
The language of an SOP should be formal, positive, confident and convincing.
- Use formal English.
- Use clear and meaningful sentences.
- Use positive expressions.
- Use appropriate vocabulary.
- Use first-person pronouns such as I, my and me naturally.
- Maintain grammatical accuracy.
- Avoid slang and casual expressions.
- Avoid exaggerated claims.
- Maintain a confident but humble tone.
11. Useful Vocabulary for SOP Writing
Students can use suitable formal expressions such as:
12. Useful Sentence Starters
To Express Interest
- I have always been deeply interested in...
- My passion for... has motivated me to...
- I have developed a keen interest in...
- My curiosity about... inspired me to...
To Mention Background
- During my academic journey, I have...
- My studies have provided me with...
- My academic background has strengthened my interest in...
To Mention Skills
- I have developed strong communication skills through...
- My participation in... has helped me develop...
- I consider creativity and determination to be my strengths.
To Mention Career Goals
- My long-term goal is to...
- I aspire to build a career in...
- I hope to contribute to the field of...
- In the future, I intend to...
To Conclude
- I believe this course will provide me with...
- This programme will help me develop...
- I am confident that this opportunity will enable me to...
13. Model Question
You are highly passionate about becoming a successful entrepreneur and wish to pursue higher education in Business Management. Your background and skills have motivated you towards business. Prepare a Statement of Purpose for seeking admission to a reputed university for a degree in Business Management.
Write in about 100–150 words.
14. Model Statement of Purpose
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
I have always been fascinated by the world of business, innovation and entrepreneurship. My interest in Business Management has grown through my academic studies and my habit of reading about successful entrepreneurs and their journeys. I enjoy identifying problems and thinking of practical solutions. I have also developed communication, leadership and teamwork skills through various academic and extracurricular activities.
I wish to pursue a degree in Business Management to gain systematic knowledge of marketing, finance, management and entrepreneurship. I believe that this course will provide me with the skills and exposure necessary to understand the business world. My long-term goal is to become a successful entrepreneur and create meaningful employment opportunities for others. I am confident that this course will help me turn my ideas and ambitions into reality.
15. Model SOP – Performing Arts
You wish to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Performing Arts with specialisation in Classical Vocal Music. Prepare a Statement of Purpose.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Music has been an important part of my life since childhood. My regular practice of classical music has developed not only my singing skills but also discipline, patience and concentration. I have participated in school and local cultural programmes, which strengthened my confidence and deepened my passion for classical vocal music.
I now wish to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Performing Arts to receive systematic training and a deeper understanding of Indian classical music. I am particularly interested in improving my vocal technique, knowledge of music theory and performance skills. My long-term goal is to become a professional classical vocalist and contribute to the preservation and promotion of Indian musical traditions. I believe this course will provide me with the knowledge, guidance and opportunities necessary to achieve my goal.
16. Model SOP – Foreign Language
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
My fascination with languages began when I realised that learning a new language opens a window to another culture and way of thinking. I have a strong interest in learning French and have already developed basic knowledge through self-study and online resources. I enjoy reading about French culture, literature and history.
I wish to pursue higher education in French to develop advanced language skills and gain a deeper understanding of French-speaking cultures. I am a disciplined learner with good communication skills and a strong willingness to learn. My long-term goal is to build a career in translation, international communication and cultural exchange. I believe that formal education in French will provide me with the expertise and confidence required to achieve my professional goals.
17. What Can You Include in the Content?
| Area | Possible Ideas |
|---|---|
| Academic Background | Subjects studied, academic performance, projects, practical work, courses. |
| Skills | Communication, leadership, creativity, teamwork, analytical thinking, problem-solving. |
| Achievements | Competitions, certificates, awards, projects, presentations and extracurricular achievements. |
| Hobbies | Reading, music, sports, writing, technology, public speaking or other relevant interests. |
| Experience | Volunteering, internships, workshops, school projects or relevant activities. |
| Future Goal | Higher studies, profession, entrepreneurship, research, social contribution or other career goals. |
18. Do's and Don'ts
| Do | Don't |
|---|---|
| Clearly state your interest. | Do not begin with unrelated information. |
| Mention relevant skills. | Do not list every skill you possess. |
| Give specific examples. | Do not make unsupported claims. |
| Explain your future goal. | Do not write an unclear career goal. |
| Connect your background with the course. | Do not write general information about the course only. |
| Use formal and positive language. | Do not use slang or casual language. |
| Keep the ideas connected. | Do not jump randomly from one idea to another. |
| Follow the given word limit. | Do not unnecessarily exceed the word limit. |
19. Common Mistakes in SOP Writing
An SOP is not your complete life story. Include only information relevant to the course and future goal.
The SOP should be about you, your interest, your preparation and your goals—not merely a description of the course.
Avoid repeating words such as "I want", "I am interested" and "my goal" again and again.
Mention achievements only when they support your interest or suitability for the chosen field.
Avoid expressions such as "I wanna", "I really love it" or other informal phrases.
Do not write exaggerated statements such as "I am the best student in the world."
Always write according to the course, university, profession or purpose mentioned in the question.
20. Useful Connectors for Better Flow
Use connecting words to make the SOP coherent and logical.
21. How to Score Full Marks
For Content – 2 Marks
- Mention your interest in the chosen field.
- Include relevant academic background.
- Mention suitable skills or qualities.
- Include relevant achievements or experiences.
- State a clear future goal.
- Explain why the course is suitable for your goal.
For Sequence / Flow – 1 Mark
- Arrange ideas logically.
- Use suitable connecting words.
- Avoid sudden changes of topic.
- Maintain a clear beginning, middle and conclusion.
For Appropriateness / Language – 1 Mark
- Use formal language.
- Use grammatically correct sentences.
- Use appropriate vocabulary.
- Check spelling and punctuation.
- Maintain a confident and positive tone.
22. 30-Second Planning Method
Before writing the SOP, quickly make six points in your mind:
↓
2. INTEREST
↓
3. BACKGROUND
↓
4. SKILLS / ACHIEVEMENTS
↓
5. CAREER GOAL
↓
6. WHY THIS COURSE?
Then convert these points into connected sentences.
23. Final Checklist for Students
- Have I clearly mentioned the course or field?
- Have I explained my interest in the field?
- Have I mentioned my relevant academic background?
- Have I included suitable skills?
- Have I mentioned relevant achievements or experiences?
- Have I stated my future career goal?
- Have I explained how the course will help me?
- Are my ideas arranged logically?
- Is my language formal and appropriate?
- Have I checked grammar, spelling and punctuation?
- Have I followed the word limit given in the question?
- Have I avoided unnecessary information?
24. Quick Revision Box
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Content – 2 Marks
Sequence / Flow – 1 Mark
Appropriateness / Language – 1 Mark
Total – 4 Marks
Be relevant. Be logical. Be formal. Be convincing.
25. Solved Examples
Students can practise different types of Statement of Purpose questions based on courses such as Business Management, Performing Arts, Foreign Languages, Engineering, Medicine, Journalism, Law, Sports Management and other fields.
📚 Learn English Grammar the Easy Way!
Looking for complete Maharashtra Board English Notes, Grammar, Appreciation, Expected Answers, MCQs, Writing Skills, and Exam Preparation?
Visit English Yuvakbharati
✔ Class 11 & 12 English Notes
✔ Grammar Made Simple
✔ Poetry Appreciation
✔ Prose Analysis
✔ Activity Answers
✔ Practice Tests & MCQs


Comments